I recently bought a Fujifilm X-E3 interchangeable lens camera to "replace" my Sony NEX-6 (links to DPReview). I'm very happy with the camera and impressed at the plethora of customization options. Here is a table I created to familiarize myself... obviously I like tables!
There are 3 main user experiences that can be customized:
- Quick menu - hold down the Q button to customize.
- Function buttons - one function button (Fn1), AE-L and AF-L buttons, the Rear Command Dial (when pushed in) and four swipe (flick) gestures (up, left, right, down labeled T-Fn1 through T-Fn4) - hold down the play button to customize.
- The My Menu screen - which is the default menu displayed when you hit the Menu OK button.
In addition, there are a items that can be pre-defined, e.g.:
- Seven Custom Settings presets, set as a group - e.g. you oculd preset one for "Landscape" and another for "Portrait".
- Three ISO settings - the base ISO, max ISO and min shutter speed, which are associated to the seven above (effectively giving you 3x7 configurations)
- Three White Balance settings
The Function Button and Q Menu columns in the table below are the defaults for my camera. My current customizations in the My Settings column, though this evolving as a figure out my "style":
Can be mapped to function button
Can be mapped to Q menu
Preset as a group via Custom Setting
|My Settings||Function Button||Q Menu|
|Row 1||Row 2||Row 3||Row 4|
|Film Simulation||Q + Command Dial||T-Fn2 (flick left ←)|
|White Balance||Q||T-Fn3 (flick right →)|
|Select Custom Setting||Q|
|Focus Check||Fn1 (normally)||Command Dial|
|AF Mode||Q + T-Fn2 ←||T-Fn1 (flick up ↑)|
|AF-C Custom Settings|
|Face/Eye Detection Setting||T-Fn3 →|
|Touch Screen Mode|
|AE Bracket Setting|
|Shutter Type||T-Fn1 ↑|
|ISO *||Q||T-Fn4 (flick down ↓)|
|Wireless Communication||Fn1 in playback|
|Flash Function Setting||Q|
|Mic Level Adjustment|
|Preview Depth of Field|
|Preview Exp./WB in Manual Mode||AE-L|
|Preview Pic. Effect|
|Large Indicators Mode||T-Fn4 ↓|
|AE Lock Only||AE-L|
|AF Lock Only||AF-L|
|Auto Image Transfer|
|Select Pairing Destination|
- Note 1: Photometry is disabled when Face/Eye Detection is turned on.
- Note 2: In Manual focus mode, AF-L button (set to AF-L) will perform back-button focus by default! Change this only if you want back-button focus in C/S modes - set AF-L to AF-On and change the Shutter AF to Off so that half-pressing the shutter does not focus.
The table above took me over 2 days to create. I home someone will find utility in this!
I also set up My Menu with anything else I may need that is not in the table above, with the aim of minimizing duplication, e.g.
- AF Illuminator
- Long Exposure NR
- Focus Check
- AF-C Custom Settings - I currently have this on "Set 2 Ignore Obstacles & Continue to Track Subject"
One final note: My Fujifilm X-E3 is running on firmware 1.2, for which the updated 1.2 PDF manual is available on-line:
- New features in 1.2 include Large Indicators Mode and PC Connection for X Raw Studio (to use the camera's RAW engine while tethered to a PC).
- New features in 1.1 include Auto Image Transfer and Bluetooth Smartphone Sync. (to sync Location and Time).